Wednesday 6 August 2014

A Deck in Progress

Its been a little while since I have posted about Magic: the Gathering, so I thought I would share a deck that I have in progress currently. Unfortunately, my opportunities to play have somewhat dried up of late. My workmate has drifted out of playing, and the last few weekends have been rather busy so have not had chance to drop in to Nebula Custom Gaming to get a game in. Hopefully I can rectify this at the weekend, and soon I will be moving back to the Midlands so that I can get down and game in the evenings.

Centaur Healer: this deck's work-horse (pun intended).

Anyway, on to the deck. This deck is a green-white deck, built in response to the increasingly poor win ratio I was having against my work mate's Red Deck Wins deck. I simply couldn't out-damage that deck with my Minotaurs, so I decided to change tack and go for something that would slow him down so much that he would run out of steam. For this I decided to use a tactic that is seen as somewhat sub-optimal in MtG: gaining life. Normally it's not great, but against a deck expending large numbers of cards for direct damage it can really mess up their flow, and if played right can give you serious card advantage. The deck list looks like this:

Lands (x23)
------
4 x Selesnya Guildgate
10 x Forest
9 x Plains

Creatures (x22)
---------
4 x Centaur Healer
4 x Kalonian Tusker
4 x Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
2 x Hundred-Handed One
2 x Crocanura
3 x Briarpack Alpha
2 x Renowned Weaver
1 x Karametra's Acolyte

Planeswalkers (x1)
--------------
1 x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

Spells (x12)
------
2 x Alive//Well
3 x Giant Growth
2 x Unflinching Courage
2 x Heroes Reunion
3 x Feral Invocation

Artifacts (x3)
---------

2 x Selesnya Keyrune
1 x Godsend

Sideboard
----------
2 x Oblivion Ring
2 x Call of the Conclave
3 x Hopeful Eidolon
2 x Guardian of the Gateless
4 x Plummet
1 x Archetype of Endurance
1 x Nyx-Fleece Ram

Before opportunities to play dried up at work, this list was holding it's own against the Red Deck Wins, sucking the speed out of the game and allowing enough blocking both in the air and on the ground (thanks to creatures with Reach like Crocanura and Hundred-Handed One). The Sideboard was developed to increase the deck's potency against aerial threats with Plummet & Guardian of the Gateless, and it has more Lifegain in the form of Nyx-Fleece Ram and Hopeful Eidolon.

The Nyx-Fleece Ram: who doesn't need a sideboarded sheep?

The deck looks (so far) like it has enough creatures to form a decent attack, and the curve works well enough that I usually get something defensive (like Lagonna-Band Trailblazer) out early enough to keep myself alive and then build up a respectable force before sweeping in and causing damage (at least, that's the theory). However, without more play testing this is still very much in the development stage. Hopefully, getting down to Nebula more, and also being closer to my brothers will mean I get more chance to test this out soon.

5 comments:

  1. nice blog.. it's been a while since i played this card... keep it up.. ^_^
    check my blog also if you're interested in electronics..
    share also with your friends.. thanks

    geekmoves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I certainly will check out your blog too :D

      Delete
  2. "my opportunities to play have somewhat dried up of late"

    What the hell was the three hours of MtG we played this weekend?

    You have offended me Hughes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three hours isn't enough! Lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh in respoonse to both Ian and Jim it is true. Three hours is good, but it's only a dip into it really. I was getting an hour or more a day a few months back, now very little. However it was three hours that I did enjoy :P

    ReplyDelete