Thursday 4 June 2015

It's been a while...

Wow, it's been some time since I last posted here! I fully intended to make sure i wrote something at least every two weeks and that has really fallen by the way-side. Looks like the reality of travelling for work and having a young family has taken its toll on me and my spare time. I have even ended up reducing the amount of table top gaming I am doing, with my last campaign (a Vampire: the Masquerade game set in Detroit) playing out slowly over 6 months before grinding to a holt recently. All of this has left me feeling a longing for getting back to writing, which recently I have been able to do, thanks to mtgcasualplay, who have kindly let me publish a series of articles about Commander. I have recently started the mammoth task of giving a short review to every card that is legal to play as your Commander, and the 2nd part of my article series has gone live today.






In other news, I have been able to do something recently that I haven't done for a long time and that is actually play in a a table top RPG game. As a one off a friend wanted to demo the new Star Wars game Age of Rebellion by Fantasy Flight Games, and so got the starter set. I agreed to play to help out the two other players who were brand new to RPGs, acting as the voice of experience (or something like that).  The system was new to me, and involves some custom dice, along with the idea that the players make all the dice rolls, and the GM sets which ones are rolled. I reminded me of a cross between Numenera, and the old Space Crusade board game from the 1990s, but that was no bad thing.

Unusually for me I didn't descend into a raging lunatic at the first opportunity and we all had a blast playing it in a relaxed atmosphere without taking it all to seriously which was really good fun. I think that I have a take away lesson from this session and that is to cut back on the seriousness a bit and remember we are all here for some fun. I want to try my next D&D campaign a bit like this, so less focus on rules minutiae, and more on just making sure everyone has fun.

That is the end of this short update, but hopefully I can get back to updating this more regularly now, especially as I will soon be working much closer to home. This will hopefully mean more gaming time and more time to write.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment