Monday 28 July 2014

A mixed blogging week

So whilst I was away on holiday I had all sorts of productive plans for things I would plan and write for this blog. However it looks like events conspired against me! I had planned to write up my plans for a Sliver EDH deck, but alas I had the cards I wanted delivered to the incorrect address so didn't receive them in time to take them away with me. However it does mean I should get to collect them this evening from my post box.

Since I could not work on my Sliver deck, I decided to try and do a write up about my work in progress decks. I sat down at the table, with the sun shining and a cool drink, only to find that there power cable for my laptop was irreparably damaged! This meant that I couldn't write up what I had intended to write, due to the lack of power. I only managed to replace the cable yesterday upon my return from Wales. Once again, at least this gives me some ammunition for things to write this week and next!

I did get to do two relevant things on my week vacation though: first off I spent some of the time writing up ideas for my ongoing Numenera game. The location where we based proved quite inspiring for game writing, as did the amount of reading for leisure that I did through out the week. This means I have a (hopefully) fun location for my players to explore in the Ninth World for the coming sessions. I hope that I can get a rough copy of the location drawn up and some description posted for a future article. The second thing I managed this week was to find the only shop in Pembrokeshire that is in the Wizards of the Coast Magic: the Gathering network. This proved useful as it was my brother's 31st birthday this past weekend (Happy birthday Ian :D )and it meant I could get him a present on time, selecting one of the Magic 2015 Intro Packs, Hit the Ground Running. So far we haven;t had chance for a game with this Blue-Green deck but I am looking forward to playing against it, and I am glad to have given Ian something new to build against (his Depths of Power based deck from M13 was devastating). The new deck included a Stormtide Leviathan, so he was happy, as this was used to such good effect in Depths of Power.

Stormtide Leviathan: horrible blue so and so!
There was one new(ish) thing that I started on whilst I was away. Back in 2004 when Vampire the Requiem was released by White Wolf as a replacement for Vampire: the Masquerade, I acquired a copy of the core rulebook along with the World of Darkness book required to run the game. Over the years I have slowly gotten my hands on a few more of the books, but have not once in 10 years ever run the game (although I have played a couple of one offs using the system). Last year, on a whim, I got New Orleans: City of the Damned second hand, but hadn't gotten round to reading it. With my laptop out of action, and needing my RPG fix, I started reading this whilst I was away, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. In a discussion with my player group we came to the conclusion that it might not be a bad idea to try Requiem finally. This means that I have added it to the roster of stuff I want to run in the future, and when we finish/pause the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign, I might look at running Requiem. For now I have added it to my list of topics in the tags, and hope I can get more written about the game soon.

My latest read and a new (old) topic for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment