Wednesday 2 July 2014

Numenera: first fumblings

So this evening I will be launching my first campaign using Numenera, the first game from Monte Cook Games. I was a Kickstarter backer and have had the books since their release last August. So far I have managed a very short one off, where my players created characters together and we played through a part of the starter adventure from the main book, The Beale of Boregal. This time around I am hoping to run the Kickstarter exclusive adventure The Nightmare Switch, which is a nice compact adventure in which the players try to save the village of Redstone from their nightmares. The adventure itself looks suitably weird and fun filled and I have a few ideas to try and make it stranger still, if the opportunity arrives.

The Nightmare Switch: my first Numenera campaign

The campaign starts with characters arriving in the village of Redstone, in Seshar which is a land in an area of the Ninth World called the Beyond. The locals have all been afflicted with a plague of horrifying nightmares that keep on recurring and slowly they are driving the village mad, depriving them of sleep and driving them to abandon the village or to suicide. Can the players uncover the source of these nightmares and stop it? Or will they too fall victim to the strange nightmare plague? I like the look of this adventure as it shows the weird geography of the Ninth World, with the oddly straight, deep canals that dominate Seshar both a striking feature of the map, and the start point for the adventure. This adventure also allows for the display of the Ninth World's strange technology level, with the majority sitting at the same level as the Middle Ages, but also with a selection of anachronistic tech and a smattering of ancient, advanced tech left behind by the people of bygone ages.

Seshar, in the Beyond with its weird canal system. Just one of the lands of the Ninth World


This campaign is going to be something of a casual affair, run with which ever players from my play group can make it. To facilitate this ease of play it is going to be run over Google Hangouts, a medium I have used before in conjunction with the Roll20 app for Pathfinder and found it to be a great way to keep gaming when I cannot get my group together. For tonight's first session, it looks as though I will have a Graceful Glaive, Who Carries a Quiver, and a Nano (whose Descriptor and Focus I cannot remember at present). Once I have run the adventure I intend to do a write up and detail how the players did, and furthermore, I hope to string this together into an ongoing campaign for the next few weeks, so hopefully there will be more write ups to come after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment