Wednesday 28 May 2014

Back from the GEF

Well, after a long weekend, with a day off either side of it, I am back from my weekend LARPing and ready to write up all about how I managed to achieve all the aims I set myself in last weeks blog post on this topic, except... none of them were really fulfilled quite how I wanted. The weekend was rather interrupted by the fact that we lost the Saturday to the weather, and in fact bugged out back to Burton to keep dry (and play another session of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, which I will write about later), and we did not return to site until time-in on Sunday morning. With this (poor) excuse out of the way, here is how I did regarding my aims.

The VKP at the GEF 1114 (photograph courtesy of Kren Cooper)

1) Join the Healers Guild

Flat out didn't do it. I managed to enter the guild tent once (to collect my power cards on the Friday) and didn't set foot in there again all weekend. Pretty much a poor show on getting that aim achieved I am sure you will agree?
With none of the rest of my group being healers, and with me being pretty poor at going out and making myself known with strangers, I just didn't get the keen to go and join up. This really is something that needs working on I think.

2) Go Monstering

Two for two here: as a group or individually we didn't monster once. Again, a really poor show I think. I am going to take the easy way out and blame the weather, as we missed all of Saturday and so were keen to make up for lost time on Sunday playing our characters. This, coupled with some enthusiasm for the main battle Monday meant we never got around to making ourselves useful to the refs. We gave a brief try Sunday morning, but after an hour or so of there being nothing going out, we wandered off to the beer tent for the afternoon.

3) Getting Myself Known

 Well, I could probably make a small claim for making myself useful rather than known. In the Lions wall during the final battle on the Monday I did at least manage to keep our faction battle commander on his feet with a few timely heal spells for the first half of the battle. Whether or not he would remember me again if he tripped over me is highly debateable however. In light of this I guess that's three aims from three that haven't really been achieved.

Holding off something big and nasty in the Lion's wall (photograph courtesy of Kren Cooper)

With a spectacular rate of failure on the personal aims front, I can at least make claim to having spent more time in character this event. We spent a good deal of Sunday chin wagging with some Honeybadger beastkin, and we also spent some fun moments joking about with Squad D of the Lions (thanks for the good humour there guys). All in all it was an enjoyable event, even if we lost a day due to the weather. I am looking forward to (heopfully) making the Gathering later in the year. Maybe there I can actually achieve one or two of those aims?

No comments:

Post a Comment